ICC on Monday officially announced that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 has been postponed citing the COVID19 pandemic threat.
- ICC announced it’s schedule for the next three ICC events to take place within the 2021-2023 cycle
- The ICC Men’s World Cup 2023, to take place at the start of the year, has been postponed to the October-November period
- The said decision now allows BCCI to plan the Indian Premier League (IPL) with larger freedom
The fate of the ICC Men’s World T20, Australia 2020 was left hanging since March. Though cricketing action has begun under a bio-secured environment in England and parts of the West Indies, the world is still not completely safe from the pandemic. Thus the said decision from ICC was considered to only be a matter of time.
The windows for the Men’s events are:
– ICC Men’s T20 WC 2021 will be held in October-November 2021, with the final on November 14, 2021
– ICC Men’s T20 WC 2022 will be held in October-November 2022, with the final on November 13, 2022
– ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 will be held in India in October-November 2023, with the final on November 26, 2023
India and Australia are set to host the T20 WC in 2021 and 2022. However the order of hosting would be decided by the ICC later depending upon the situation.
The Official Announcement: (T20 World Cup)
IBC, the commercial subsidiary of the ICC, met on Monday to discuss updates on World T20. According to ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney, the plan was finalised by the governing council keeping the ongoing crisis in mind.
The ICC chief said on the website, “We have undertaken a comprehensive and complex contingency planning exercise and through this process, our number one priority has been to protect the health and safety of everyone involved in the sport. The decision to postpone the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup was taken after careful consideration of all of the options available to us and gives us the best possible opportunity of delivering two safe and successful T20 World Cups for fans around the world.”
“Our Members now have the clarity they need around event windows to enable them to reschedule lost bilateral and domestic cricket. Moving the Men’s Cricket World Cup to a later window is a critical element of this and gives us a better chance of maintaining the integrity of the qualification process. This additional time will be used to reschedule games that might be lost because of the pandemic ensuring qualification can be decided on the field of play.
“Throughout this process we have worked closely with our key stakeholders including governments, Members, broadcasters, partners and medical experts to enable us to reach a collective decision for the good of the game and our fans. I would like to thank everyone involved for their commitment to a safe return to cricket.”
Meanwhile the IBC further exclaimed that they will monitor the conditions to host the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand in February next year. The decision also clears the schedule for the Indian Premier League (IPL) to take place during the October-November window. BCCI had already made it’s intentions clear with their statement last week but today’s decision from ICC gives the required confirmation for the same.