After a marathon knock of 254* by Virat Kohli in the 2nd Test match against South Africa, Virat Kohli is just one point away from regaining the number 1 spot in the latest ICC Test batsmen rankings announced on Monday.
Virat Kohli’s knock of 254* helped India post a massive total of 601 for 5 in the first innings. The Indian bowlers did a great job to bowl out South Africa for 275. Deciding to enforce the follow-on day 4, all the Indian bowlers again dismissed the visitors cheaply for 189 to help India register an innings and 137 runs to take an unassailable 2-0 lead.
Steve Smith who had a record breaking 2019 Ashes series against England. He scored 774 runs and helped Australia retain the urn. With Smith likely not to play Test cricket for quite some time, it is a chance for Kohli to regain his number 1 spot with another terrific knock in the 3rd Test to be played at Ranchi from 19th October.
The Indian captain could not score much in the 1st Test match against South Africa at Vizag and dropped further points. He made 20 and 31*. Kohli who holds the number 1 position in the ODI rankings has a chance to retain his number 1 rankings in Test matches.
Among the rankings, Ajinkya Rahane climbs up to number 9th in the latest batsmen rankings with a solid 59 runs in the 1st innings of the 2nd Test. He had a good outing in the first Test at Vizag. Tom Latham, Dimuth Karunaratne climbs one place up. South Africa wicket-keeper batsman Quinton de Kock slips one place down to number 10th.
In the bowling rankings, Pat Cummins retains the number 1 bowlers rankings. Kagiso Rabada, Jasprit Bumrah, Jason Holder hold their respective places. As far Indians are concerned Ravichandran Ashwin moves up to number 7th with 6 wickets in the 2nd Test played at Pune.
Latest ICC Test batsmen rankings
1. Steve Smith (Australia)- 937
2. Virat Kohli (India)- 936
3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)- 878
4. Cheteshwar Pujara (India)- 817
5. Henry Nicholls (New Zealand)- 749
6. Joe Root (England)- 731
7. Tom Latham (New Zealand)- 724
8. Dimuth Karunaratne (Sri Lanka)- 723
9. Ajinkya Rahane (India)- 721
10. Quinton de Kock (South Africa)- 704
Latest ICC Test bowlers’ rankings
1. Pat Cummins (Australia)- 908
2. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)- 835
3. Jasprit Bumrah (India)- 818
4. Jason Holder ( West Indies)- 814
5. James Anderson (England)- 798
6. Trent Boult (New Zealand)- 795
7. Ravichandran Ashwin (India)- 792
8. Vernon Philander (South Africa)- 791
9. Neil Wagner (New Zealand)- 785
10. Kemar Roach ( West Indies)- 780