Just before the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, the ICC Women’s World T20 was the biggest event to have successfully completed on March 8 in Australia. Since then there has been a drought as far as women’s cricket is concerned. Team India (women’s) was supposed to tour England to play a bilateral series which included three ODIs and as many T20s. However, due to the pandemic, the series was postponed.
Now as per the recent reports, the England and Wales Cricket Board is in talks with the cricket boards from India and South Africa for hosting a tri-nation series later this year.
“We were supposed to travel to England in July for limited-overs series. Now that has been postponed and we are waiting for fresh dates. There are some talks going on as to when to hold the series,” BCCI GM Cricket Operations Saba Karim told IANS on Wednesday.
“However, nothing has been finalized as yet,” he added.
Tom Harrison, chief executive of England and Wales Cricket Board, has however said that they are in talks with the BCCI and Cricket South Africa for a tri-angular series.
“We’re talking to the BCCI and Cricket South Africa about bringing their women’s teams over to play a tri-series,” Harrison said during the Tuffers and Vaughan podcast.
“So we’ve something to celebrate with the women’s game, in September this year. We’re desperate to continue the momentum, the growth in the women’s game which has been so astonishing in the last few years,” he added.
Harrison added, “Ultimately, we will get some international cricket, all being well. The plan is to get some international cricket for the England team later this summer. We’re talking to the BCCI and Cricket South Africa about bringing their women’s teams over to play a tri-series.” Harrison also stated that the series will be held depending upon how each of the countries fights with this contagious disease.