The Indian captain Virat Kohli produced a magical knock on the 2nd day of the 2nd Test match against South Africa at MCA Stadium, Pune on Friday. After a dull period, Kohli showed his class and piled on the misery on the South African bowling line up.
Kohli came to the crease after the fall of Pujara’s wicket on day 1. The Indian captain looked solid with his defensive technique and played free flowing strokes which put South African bowlers under pressure. He remained not out on 63 on the first day. After a testing first hour on the 2nd day, Kohli continued to play on the misery and play lovely strokes which dented South Africa’s morale. It was an amazing knock by Kohli who accelerated and reached his double century. After the fall of Jadeja’s wicket, the captain declared the innings on 601 for 5. India reduced South Africa to 36 for 3 with Umesh Yadav 2 wickets and Mohammed Shami 1 wicket.
Here are Virat Kohli’s many milestones on his way to a brilliant 254* against South Africa at Pune
- Virat Kohli became the first Indian captain to score 250+ runs in Test matches.
- The Indian captain became the fastest to reach 21,000 runs in international Cricket
- He also scored the most 150+ runs as a captain. Don Bradman had scored 8 double centuries in Test cricket. Michael Clarke, Mahela Jayawardene, Brian Lara and Graeme Smith had scored double centuries seven times.
- Kohli also became the first Indian to smash 7 double centuries in Tests. Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar scored 6 double centuries each.
- Virat Kohli scored 7 double centuries against 6 playing nations. Since 2016, he has scored the most double centuries in Test matches. Kohli scored double centuries against England, Bangladesh, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies and Sri Lanka. He has not scored double century against Australia.
- He went past Dillip Vengsarkar to become the 7th highest scorer in tests for India. Kohli is currently at 7054 runs in 81 matches.
- Kohli became the 3rd cricketer after Kumar Sangkkara and Younis Khan of Pakistan to score double tons against six different Test playing nations.
- He became the fifth Indian to score 250 in Test innings. Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman, Karun Nair, Rahul Dravid.
- He also set the highest score by an Indian captain in Test matches. Kohli broke his own record as he scored 243 against Sri Lanka at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium, Delhi in 2017.